Wednesday, July 23, 2008

New home, no furniture

Well almost no furniture. I now have two, no, three pieces of furniture (I refuse to count the lawn chair as furniture). It's driving me crazy that I can't find the cd that has my digital camera software. I have the camera, but no software to see and download pictures. As soon as I (a) find the software, or (b) buy a new camera, I'll post some pictures. Let's hope "a" happens soon or there won't be pictures for a while.

But anyway, as of Monday I now have a large upholstered chair and ottoman and a large-ish entertainment center. They take up quite a bit of room, as well as the air mattress on the floor (which I'm not counting as furniture either). I had an epiphany yesterday; I need to make a murphy bed. I looked at plans for them on the internet while I was still in Lubbock. Will have to look again. Material costs may be a bit steep though.

Anyway, not much else happening. Greg and I do have a weekend job together. Greg started it the last weekend of May or first weekend in June, don't remember which. I started the following weekend. We are cooking at a place called Flapjacks. Greg works the meat station (bacon, sausage links/patties, ham, burgers, etc.), and I work the pancake station. I make the pancakes, french toast, toast bread for eggs benedict, hamburgers, patty melts, etc. Oh, and I also make the crepes and blintzes. Technically I don't make the blintzes, I just heat them up when they are ordered. They are very good even just heated up. Yummy. There were several flavors or toppings for the flapjacks when I started, but we now have 32 flavors. There are some crazy flavors too. We have smores, german chocolate, black forest, carrot, banana/walnut to name a few. Those are really not that crazy, just hard to remember what goes on them. We'll be adding some kids flavors that will include some really crazy flavors that I don't remember right now.

Flapjacks is on Rufe Snow in Fort Worth, so we drive back every weekend. Which isn't terrible, but it's been a little tough adjusting. I feel like I have two lives, one here in Abilene and one in Fort Worth. I'll probably only work there for the rest of the summer though. I'd like to spend some time "living" in Abilene. I started the job before I got the ACU job, so I didn't feel right just quiting.

It's been surreal being back in Abilene and especially ACU (haven't gotten to see much of Abilene yet. They keep wanting me to come to work. Go figure.) It doesn't feel like I ever left. It feels very natural. Two of my favorite people are still here, so it's been great getting to see them again. Kerry works in the library, and we've gone to lunch several times. We started walking two weeks ago on Monday and Friday, but she left last week to move her oldest daughter to Nashville. Her husband is going to be the director of the theatre department at Lipscomb. Bonny, Kerry's middle daughter, is still here. We went and saw Wall-e last week. It was cute, cute, cute. Very good movie. Several more of my favorite people are here, but they are professors and are not around right now.

There is a drive in here, but haven't gone yet. Movies don't start until 9:15, so that's too late on a work night, and we're not here on weekends. Anybody remember drive-ins. I saw The Town That Dreaded Sundown at the drive in when I was a kid. I was suppose to be asleep. I think the first movie was Star Wars. I'll ask my mom. Mom doesn't remember. Oh well. Need to go find some Dr. Pepper!

1 comment:

Drumwyrm said...

I don't remember ever seeing Star Wars at a drive-in theater. Seems like we always saw Star Wars at that theater next to Crystal's Pizza. We did see Logan's Run at a drive-in. Maybe that's what you remember?