Thursday, April 10, 2008

wind and dust, dust and wind

This picture is of a haboob (don't ask me how to pronounce it). It's Arabic for a very bad thing. The website I took the picture from is talking about them happening in the Sahara desert. This picture is of Lubbock, Texas! The red domed building directly below the sand storm is on Tech's campus. (That's were Greg and I saw the rodeo last weekend.)



Today we had a haboob. I can't find a picture of today's, and from my perspective it wasn't this dramatic looking. When I went to work at 11:00 am this morning, the sky to the west was brown, but the sky to the east was still blue. By the time I got off work around 2:00 pm, the sky was brown in all directions. I could hear the dirt hitting my car as I was running errands on my way home.

This is what you see on radar when we have a sand storm here in Lubbock. The white is clouds, I think, but the light brown is dirt. Dirt in the air. This storm last year went from Lubbock to Abilene. I don't know about my lovely cousins, but I only remember this happening in Abilene a few times the whole time I lived there. These storms happen a few times a year here.
Yesterday it actually rained for most of the day, so maybe there was actually less dust in the air then there could have been.

The winds that brought this dust storm were so strong that it knocked over three tracker-trailers on the interstate. Here's one of them.

3 comments:

vicki said...

Boy, Juli, you've had some major posting action since the last time I checked!! Uncle J and I got to go to Austin last Thurs thru Sat and I'm just now doing blog check. Glad you included the pix; I will not be checking out the game at this time, as I have my life to live, as I like to say, and those pesky games take up gobs of time. Hope the job search leads to the metroplex and that you can be paid the handsome dollars you are worth. Keep up the good work and tell Greg we said "Hey!" Love, Aunt VG

Unknown said...

You know... we did get some during my years out in Abilene. Gotta love West Texas!

Good luck on the job search!

Catherine said...

Holy moly!!! That is crazy. Sorry I haven't written you back yet...it is on my things to do list! :) Hope you are well! How is the job search? Love your guts,
Cath